Oct 17, 2012

Roli's Napoleones

Last week, I redeemed my voucher for Roli's Napoleones in SM Megamall that I purchased from the buying site. (Ensogo.com.ph) because I found it as a good deal. Honestly speaking I really don't have any idea what does napoleones looks and taste like because even though I always go to SM Mega mall I never notice this store not until now.



Based on Wikipedia Napoleones is a pastry originated from France and they called it mille-feuille. It has been renamed in different countries like custard slice, cream slice, Napoleon-cake etc. Traditionally, a mille-feuille is made up of three layers of puff pastry (pâte feuilletée), alternating with two layers of pastry cream (crème pâtissière), but sometimes whipped cream, or jam are substituted. The top pastry layer is dusted with confectioner's sugar, and sometimes cocoa, or pulverized seeds (e.g. roasted almonds). Alternatively the top is glazed with icing or fondant in alternating white (icing) and brown (chocolate) stripes, and combed.

Roli's version of Napoleones is very similar to what's been described in Wiki. The only different from the description is that its not a three layer pastry but with a custard/cream filling and a confectioners sugar on top. Upon opening of the box with 12 pieces of Napoleones. At first, I find it as ordinary pastry that is sweet. But I am wrong, when I tried to eat a piece of it you will taste the sweetness of the confectioner sugar on top but what surprised me a lot is the filling it has inside which is my favorite, the custard filling. The selling price for a piece of Napoleones is 17 pesos but if you will buy it for box for 12 pieces you will get a discount.

Napoleones from the box

12 pieces of Napoleones per box

Custard filling inside

According to the seller, this can be eaten for five days as long as you will store it in the refrigerator. Eating it cold fresh from refrigerator is one of my recommendation because just like with other desserts like leche flan its taste much better if it was cold. I know that this pastry is not designed as a dessert but I guess because of the sweetness this can be considered as a good dessert as well and not just as a pastry.

No comments: